With the high winds and almost constant rain in January & February, I’m sure I’m not the only one after that, looking forward to longer days and warmer weather. We all feel so much better and can finally get started on those gardening tasks and get the lawnmowers out.
- A good place to start, therefore is tidying the garden by cutting back winter shrubs, pruning trees and raking winter leaves and debris. Clear up anything the winds spread across your garden and repair fences or structures damaged in the storms.
- Spring is the ideal time to lay new turf or reseed sparse areas of lawn,
when the water has drained a little from the ground. Also ensure you don’t walk on new grass, give it chance to root undisturbed and you’ll benefit in Summer. If it’s dry, remember to water new turf regularly.
- The RHS advises March, April and May are the best months to treat your lawn. If you have a scarifier or a rake, use this to remove moss or thatch and open up the grass. Aerate the lawn by spiking the ground with a fork or proper aerator tool because this improves drainage. After that use a combined moss killer and fertilizer to feed and weed your lawn.
- Set the level on the lawnmowers at the highest settings so you don’t scalp the ground when you start cutting your grass. Compost grass clippings with a mix of shredded paper or newspaper and veg peelings etc. Too much grass will make a wet & slimy mess, you need air and mixed organic matter to make good compost.
- If you have an allotment or veg garden you might use a tiller or rotavator to loosen the soil. It will save back breaking digging and also mixes nutrients into the soil to feed your growing veggies. Also make sure your fuel is fresh and in order to keep the machine running freely, the blades have nothing wrapped around them.
Get in Touch to Beat the Rush
Your lawnmowers or garden equipment may need a service or even replacing, if it is struggling to get the job done. Fenland Spirit Services can help with repairs, servicing and we also supply refurbished lawnmowers, ride-on mowers and rotavators. Please remember we get very busy in Spring so the sooner you get in touch the sooner we can help you. Find us on Facebook, give us a call on 0775 383 6499 or check out our website. We look forward to helping you. Don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter to receive special discounts & offers. https://www.subscribepage.com/monthly-offers
0775 383 6499